Skip to main content

Can Someone Please Put the "Smart" in SmartPhone?

Yes.

Comments

Scott said…
Time will tell how well the touch-screen works. It also seems as if the OS X version - whatever they did to it - seems quite peppy from the demos today. But alas, those are demos... :)

I know where I will be come 1-JUN!

- Scott -
Anonymous said…
Apple says it is not a smartphone.
Anonymous said…
Don't get me wrong... I love Apple and the iPhone looks like one helluva neat gadget.

But everyone sucks up to Apple and says how it is the sh1t when all we have seen is the demo @ MacWorld! Lets wait for this thing to hit the market b4 we start saying it will change the mobile world. I have my reservations.

Why does it not have 3G? No iTunes to download on the move? I thought part of the concept was to have a phone with built in iPod but you could avoid even having a PC by purchasing direct? Sure to come yes but I was kinda expecting both 3G and iTunes.

So... I'm intrigued by the design and technology but little disappointed.
Scott said…
But everyone sucks up to Apple and says how it is the sh1t when all we have seen is the demo @ MacWorld! Lets wait for this thing to hit the market b4 we start saying it will change the mobile world. I have my reservations.

Sure, I tend to agree with that approach with anything Apple - version 2 is always cheaper, better, faster and more polished than version 1. I bought my MacBook Pro just weeks before the new Core 2 Duos started shipping for the same price.

I think most of the buzz is about the concept of a "different" type of phone here. People want to believe and hope that Apple will do to the phone what it did to the MP3 player, thus freeing them from the existing poorly designed alternatives.

That hope alone is enough for many of us - including yours truly whose Q decided to reboot 3 times already today - to hold on to.

- Scott -
Scott said…
Check out this interesting article comparing the iPhone to Windows Media 5, and modern smart phones.

Without getting into the age-old Mac vs. PC argument, I just don't think that guy "gets is". It's not a matter of parity of features, but how each one works.

I hate Outlook. I love Apple Mail. Both do the same thing, more or less, but they do it differently, and at least in my opinion, one does it better and more elegantly.

That's the whole point of Apple's iPhone and most of what they do - to take what we have all held as true about something (a phone, the PC, MP3 players, etc) and change it. Whether that works or not remains to be seen...

- Scott -

Popular posts from this blog

Custom Export to CSV

It's been a while since I've updated my blog. I've been quite busy lately, and just have not had the time that I used to. We're expecting our 1st child in just a few short weeks now, so most of my free time has been spent learning Lamaze breathing, making the weekly run to Babies R Us, and relocating my office from the larger room upstairs to the smaller one downstairs - which I do happen to like MUCH more than I had anticipated. I have everything I need within a short walk - a bathroom, beer fridge, and 52" HD TV. I only need to go upstairs to eat and sleep now, but alas, this will all change soon... Recently, I was asked if you could change the way Export to CSV in ApEx works. The short answer is, of course, no. But it's not too difficult to "roll your own" CSV export procedure. Why would you want to do this? Well, the customer's requirement was to manipulate some data when the Export link was clicked, and then export it to CSV in a forma

Refreshing PL/SQL Regions in APEX

If you've been using APEX long enough, you've probably used a PL/SQL Region to render some sort of HTML that the APEX built-in components simply can't handle. Perhaps a complex chart or region that has a lot of custom content and/or layout. While best practices may be to use an APEX component, or if not, build a plugin, we all know that sometimes reality doesn't give us that kind of time or flexibility. While the PL/SQL Region is quite powerful, it still lacks a key feature: the ability to be refreshed by a Dynamic Action. This is true even in APEX 5. Fortunately, there's a simple workaround that only requires a small change to your code: change your procedure to a function and call it from a Classic Report region. In changing your procedure to a function, you'll likely only need to make one type of change: converting and htp.prn calls to instead populate and return a variable at the end of the function. Most, if not all of the rest of the code can rem

Logging APEX Report Downloads

A customer recently asked how APEX could track who clicked “download” from an Interactive Grid.  After some quick searching of the logs, I realized that APEX simply does not record this type of activity, aside from a simple page view type of “AJAX” entry.  This was not specific enough, and of course, led to the next question - can we prevent users from downloading data from a grid entirely? I knew that any Javascript-based solution would fall short of their security requirements, since it is trivial to reconstruct the URL pattern required to initiate a download, even if the Javascript had removed the option from the menu.  Thus, I had to consider a PL/SQL-based approach - one that could not be bypassed by a malicious end user. To solve this problem, I turned to APEX’s Initialization PL/SQL Code parameter.  Any PL/SQL code entered in this region will be executed before any other APEX-related process.  Thus, it is literally the first place that a developer can interact with an APEX p